I was wandering through Aldi a few weeks ago and I grabbed a giant box of mushrooms with absolutely no thought as to what I would use them for. With no time to meal plan that week, I was dashing around grabbing our regulars. Bread, eggs, milk. Several litres of yogurt. Perhaps I had grand notions of making pan fried mushrooms for breakfast?
Well that never happened and my $6 box of mushrooms started shrivelling at the edges. I threw together what I had in the pressure cooker and managed to make a pretty sweet batch of pressure cooker mushroom risotto. Here’s what I did.
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups diced mushrooms (any will do but this is a great way to use up any sad mushrooms you forgot to use in the fridge)
- 1 finely chopped brown onion
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 litre chicken stock
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Turn your pressure cooker or instant pot to sauté. Melt butter. Toss in onions and fry until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Add rice and stir until coated in butter. Add wine and simmer for 2 mins.
- Add stock and stir. Place rosemary spring on top.
- Put on the lid and set to high pressure for 6 mins.
- When the pressure cooks, force release the pressure.
- Stir risotto until creamy. Add parmesan cheese and stir. Add more parmesan if needed to make it creamier.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I batch cooked this on the weekend before I was struck down with killer strep throat and it was actually a blessing because I could easily swallow this without crying. We got about 8 small serves out of this batch and we froze a few portions for easy midweek meals. If you want your risotto thinner add more stock if you want it thicker add more cheese.
Your mushrooms can be quite devastated for this recipe, I promise. No need to use pristine little buttons for this one.
How to Serve Pressure Cooker Mushroom Risotto
- with a hearty salad
- with fried eggs
- topped with tofu
- by itself
- with poached chicken breast
- on the side of sausages
- with a giant pile of steam greens
- with oven fries
Our 1 year old absolutely smashed through two giants serves of this and our 5 year old had two bites and that’s a success in our books.
Other recipes you might like
If you want you’re interested in my monogamous love affair with pressure cookers here’s an article where we bought our pressure cooker. I’m still using the same one. It’s super basic but I love it.
And here’s a podcast episode I did about pressure cookers. Well worth a listen if you’re on the fence about buying one.
What’s your favourite risotto? Let me know and I’ll try to adapt this recipe for you!
Also I have a Very Excellent Habits Newsletter that goes out every Wednesday at 10 am. It’s about habits. You can sign up here.