Most of my friends have kids and one thing I’ve noticed is how interested they are in telling you all the things they like. Dinosaurs, Paw Patrol, bananas, their friend Oliver, when they get to see grandma on the weekend, grass, cheese… all that rad stuff.
It’s freaking adorable and also unbelievably healthy.
Sometimes I think adults spend way too much time thinking about the things they don’t like. Traffic, work, that news reporter that irritates them, running out of milk… rather than thinking about all of the good stuff.
Imagine spending a good chunk of your day thinking about all the things you like. How is that NOT going to put you in a good mood? I wrote a list of 47 things I like a few years ago and surprisingly not much of the things have changed but I thought it could use a good ol’ update. So here’s 100 things I really like… do you like these things too?
2. Leaf tea (not bags)
3. True crime (murders, not drug and gang crime)
4. Benedict Cumberbatch
5. Caroline Kepnes novels (which have now been turned into a TV series!)
6. Cafes that give you a little biscuit with your coffee
7. Afternoon naps on the couch
9. Sea salt hairspray
11. When people laugh too hard to tell their own jokes
12. Neighborhood cats that come to visit (we currently have Tony and Louie that drop by most days)
13. Kines coffee
14. Australian native flowers
15. When Mr Smaggle puts his arms around my waist and hugs me from behind
16. Rainy days
17. Those teeny tiny bottles of Tabasco sauce you get sometimes when you order seafood at fancy restaurants
20. Fresh mint
24. Wooden soled shoes
25. Taking my socks off using just my feet
27. Men with twisty styled moustaches
28. Colouring in with textas
29. Brightly patterned cocoon dresses
30. Post It notes
31. Puppies that look like teddy bears
32. Crunchy bars
33. Going to the theatre
34. Listening to podcasts while cleaning the house
35. My Crochet Coach Facebook group and my beautiful Crochettes
36. Matte white nail polish on my toes
37. Exercise pants that don’t fall down
38. Judge Judy
39. Walking – anywhere, I just really like walking
40. When Phil Clark says ‘Carly and Ben from Fitzroy have it!’ on the Nightlife quiz
42. Hot pink lipstick
43. Working (really – I like working a lot)
44. Black and white stripes
46. Sour cream and chives
47. My mum scratching my back with her long nails
48. Gordon Ramsay
49. Getting lost in a good book
50. Having a shower, popping on some clean PJs and THEN getting into a freshly made clean sheet day bed, the ultimate trifecta
51. Interesting looking people
53. Popping blisters (gross but true)
54. Ice cream
55. Cordless vacuum cleaners (I will never be wall tethered again)
57. Better Call Saul
58. Grill’d low carb burgers
59. Bringing Mr Smaggle cups of tea in the morning (he’s always so grateful, it’s adorable)
60. @elsielarson on Instagram
61. Watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S every evening at 6pm
62. Collecting vintage crochet patterns
63. When people whistle when they walk down the street
64. Homemade roasted vegetable salads with goats cheese and pine nuts
66. Macadamia and mango Weiss bars
67. When a really good movie is on TV
69. My friend’s dog Molly
70. Coming home from a night out and having a cup of tea with Mr Smaggle
71. Avocado… forever
72. Baking… but not eating baked goods weirdly, they’re not really my bag
73. Musicals – Les Mis, Phantom, JC Superstar and Rent are firm favourites
74. Uber Eats
75. Vintage shopping in country towns
76. Dogs that stop to say hello to me on the streets
77. The owners of those dogs trying to sell me that particular breed of dog – ‘You HAVE to get a Cavoodle, literally the best dogs IN THE WORLD!’
78. Avalanche Sugar-Free hot chocolate
79. Liam Neeson
81. New age stores (I’m not woo in the slightest but I just can’t walk past a candle shop full of spell books and crystals)
82. My blogging crew, they keep me sane and they’re so supportive
83. When my bones crack when I’m stretching (I know I’m not supposed to like it but it’s SO SATISFYING)
84. Toto’s Africa (haters be damned, there’s nothing like belting that song out with a bunch of toasty mates)
85. Everything and anything Danish – the furniture, the clothes, the people
86. Michael Jackson
87. Reading books about Morman polygamists (can’t explain it, it’s just a weird thing I’m totally fascinated by)
88. Catherine Baba
89. Touching down on the tarmac after a plane flight (I’m not a bad flyer by any means but I never feel totally comfortable when I’m up in the air, I’m definitely a creature of the earth)
90. Frankie Magazine
91. Scary movies
94. Hoop earrings
95. My brother’s jokes, he cracks a whopper every time I see him
96. Hearing about the history of buildings, I was in a gorgeous gift shop the other day that used to be an 1800s billiards room and the lady who owned it showed me old photos of it
97. Ghost stories
98. Board games
99. Hugs from my sister-in-law, she hugs like she really means it
100. When kids on a bus wave at you and you wave back and they all cheer
So those are the things I like… tell me… what do you like?
Seriously, take a moment to write a few things you like in the comments. It will make you feel like a million bucks, I swear.
P.S Also you should totally sign up for my newsletter. It’s full of cool stuff.
P.P.S Don’t forget Crochet Coach has a free trial offer period at the moment so make sure you sign up!
To point 87, have you seen the Netflix documentary about mormon polygamists? My three wifes I belive.
Big yes to #50! I mention this every single time the sheets are freshly washed and my husband just doesn’t get it (But at least he listens patiently!).
Also? A hot cup of coffee or tea in the morning. Just makes everything better.
Your blog is JOY!
When you think you’re going to miss the train but you bolt for it and get in just as the doors are closing. You feel like a freaken ninja!
Just love this!! Have an awesome day everyone and especially you Carly!!
Your attitude and beautiful randomness is a gift to us all.
Yes to about 25 of these! 🙂 Here’s a few of mine:
– Camping in winter and staring into fire TV
– Road trips
– Spending time in secondhand book shops
– Wine and cheese on the balcony with a good friend
– Extended leave (longer than four weeks)
– First coffee of the day
– Waking up and realising it’s Saturday
(wow, I could keep going…)
Beautiful sunny day at the beach, good bottle of wine, new england coastal towns, finding money in a coat pocket, a dog on your lap, finding that perfect dress
First coffee of the morning
Dog snuggling between us on the bed in the morning
Putting off and putting off doing my tax return then scoring a windfall when I do!
Clean sheets on the bed
Nailing an outfit
Friday night first drink relaxing – reward
Driving – doesn’t matter where, just love it
Flying somewhere (sigh)
Touching down somewhere
Nailing a recipe and everyone likes it
Fixing a techo problem myself
Rhythm of exercise routine
My green-goddess smoothie
Walking the dog – he so loves it and I smile the whole time
Smoochie hugs from the chap
Talking to 9 yo grandson – sooo interesting
Reading at bedtime
Reading in the morning
Playing music library on shuffle and forgotten gems popping up
Long phone chats with The Bestie
Anything Adorable Or Kawaii
When boys whistle at me and yes I feel like a million bucks!